Los Angeles Lemon Law Attorneys Who Protect Your Rights
At Neale & Fhima, our Los Angeles Lemon Law attorneys fight for individuals who bought lemons in Los Angeles, CA, and for accident victims. If you or a loved one was injured in an accident, or if you need to assert your rights under California’s Lemon Law, contact us today for a free consultation.
Our Los Angeles Office
Los Angeles Lemon Law
What would Los Angeles be without cars, miles of freeways and traffic? Anybody who knows anything about the City of Angeles knows that it is a car town and your wheels say something about who you are. Scouting dealerships to find the perfect vehicle that captures your personal style and vibe is exciting. But if you are perusing dealerships, there is one important factor that may not have occurred to you – how will the dealership treat you if your car breaks down during the warranty period?
What Is a Lemon?
Lemons are clunker vehicles that don’t work like they’re supposed to. Lemon laws exist nationwide as protective legal mechanisms for consumers purchasing used cars, according to Reference.com. These laws entitle consumers to safe cars free of unknown faults and defects.
In the United States, lemon laws cover consumers in all 50 states, but the states maintain discretion in creating provisions for their citizens. Nationally, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 affords consumers federal protection against purchasing cars that are not free of faults and defects.
Lemon Law Attorneys Helping Los Angeles Residents
When you need to protect your rights, you need a law firm that you can trust. You need a law firm that handles your type of case and with lawyers who will give your case the personal attention it deserves. Above all, you need experience, and you need to know that your law firm will do what it takes to help you win compensation.
At Neale & Fhima, LLP, we focus our practice exclusively in the areas of personal injury, wrongful death, and Lemon Law compensation. Attorneys Matt Neale and Aaron Fhima have more than 40 years of combined legal experience, and together they have helped thousands of clients recover in excess of $50 million in compensation. Matt and Aaron are passionate about what they do, and if you have been injured, lost a loved one, or purchased a defective vehicle in Los Angeles, you can rest assured that they will fight tirelessly to protect your legal rights.
Will a Warranty Protect You?
Auto dealers must honor the warranty provided to you by the manufacturer. California’s lemon law takes it one step further, though. Not only must they honor the warranty, but they must do so quickly. Excuses and delays by a dealership’s repair department are no good. If they cannot make the repairs in a reasonable number of attempts, you get a refund or replacement, and they get stuck with the lemon.
Of course, to achieve this outcome, you must be able to enforce your rights. Our state’s lemon law helps with this, too. It allows you to hire a local Los Angeles lemon law lawyer at no cost. The law firm of Neale & Fhima provides this service. You can contact us now or keep reading to learn more about the lemon law.
Understanding California’s Lemon Law
When you buy a new vehicle in Los Angeles, it is appropriate to expect that it will be free of defects. But there are times when even a new vehicle has serious problems. If you need to take your new vehicle under factory warranty into the dealership for regular repairs, you may have a lemon law claim.
The lemon law in our state says that the auto manufacturer or dealership must repair your vehicle, IF the factory warranty is still in place. No, an extended warranty does not count – only the original factory warranty. Many factory warranties cover you for three years or 36,000 miles, but some warranties may give you more coverage. State law notes that the car dealership must have a certain amount of time and tries to fix your car. If they fail to do so, you could have the right to a repurchase or replacement of your vehicle.
The dealership generally must be given at least two opportunities to repair a serious problem that affects the value or safety of the vehicle. For example, if the anti-lock brakes are not working, this is a serious safety problem. But if you have a loose cup holder, this is not going to be enough for a lemon law claim. Also, even though a bad paint job does not affect your car’s safety, it DOES affect its value, so this could be the source of a lemon law claim, too. Our lemon law attorneys in Los Angeles can help. Call us to discuss your claim and learn your options.
You also need to have brought the car to the Los Angeles dealership at least four times to fix the same problem. And, the vehicle could be a lemon if it has been on the dealership lot for 30 days since you bought it.
Deadlines and Documentation
Even when these requirements are met, things can still go wrong. A lemon law claim must be documented, negotiated, and resolved prior to the statute of limitations deadline. Occasionally, filing a lawsuit is necessary. Our attorneys can handle these matters on your behalf. It is important to be certain that you are carefully documenting every problem with your car and each trip you make to the dealership. The better you can document your vehicle’s problems, the more likely that you can win a lemon law claim.
Los Angeles Used Car Lemon Law Attorney
So, you’ve bought a used car and it turns out to be a clunker, and you’re wondering whether the California Lemon Law will cover a pre-owned car. Well, yes and no. If you bought the car “as is” from a private seller or car lot, then no, you do not have a lemon law remedy. If, however, you bought the used vehicle with one of three specific warranties, then yes, you likely have a lemon law case that is winnable. A Los Angeles used car lemon law attorney can provide more details about specific terms of the law.
If you are in Los Angeles, CA, and you have one of these warranties, you are in good shape:
Transferred New Car Warranty
All new cars come with a warranty from the manufacturer, and when the title is transferred to a new owner during the warranty period, the warranty protections travel with the vehicle for the remaining coverage period.
Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) Warranty
Authorized dealerships sometimes sell Certified Pre-Owned vehicles, which means that these used cars have been inspected and any needed repairs and maintenance have been completed. The vehicles are then resold with a CPO warranty. CPO warranties are usually less comprehensive than new car warranties, but because there’s any warranty at all these CPO vehicles typically have higher price tags than “as is” used cars. Only authorized dealers can sell CPO vehicles – no one else can.
Lemon Law Buyback Warranty
Manufacturers sometimes re-sell lemons after buying them back from their original purchasers and making all necessary repairs. If manufacturers do this, they are required by law to provide a 12-month/12,000-mile warranty covering the prior defect.
Sometimes it’s a little tricky figuring out whether the California lemon law applies to your used vehicle. Our experienced Los Angeles used car lemon attorneys can help. Just call us at (949) 661-1007 for a free initial consultation about your situation.
Is it Officially a Lemon? Impact on Use, Value or Safety
The Lemon Law in this state is officially called the Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act. This law was passed 50 years ago to help Californians to enforce new product warranties. Regarding motor vehicles, this law presumes that the car, truck or SUV is a lemon if, within 18,000 miles or 18 months, any of these events occur:
- The vehicle has defects that could cause death or serious injury, and the dealer has been unable to remedy the problem after at least two repairs.
- The vehicle suffers a serious defect that affects use, value or safety, and the dealer has been unable to repair it with at least four attempts.
- The vehicle has defects that affect use, value and safety, and the dealer has not been able to repair it after having it in their possession for 30 days.
Making a Lemon Law Claim in Los Angeles
To determine whether or not your vehicle is a lemon, you need to learn whether it is still under the manufacturer’s warranty. Next, you need to know whether you have made enough ‘reasonable attempts’ to get the vehicle repaired. Our Los Angeles lemon law attorneys can help you to determine the answers to both of these questions.
The next step is to file a Lemon Law claim. This is a complicated matter that is best left to a Los Angeles lemon law attorney. Our attorneys will start the claim by sending the demand letter to the manufacturer of your vehicle.
Note that the statute of limitations under the lemon law is four years. But we never advise that you wait that long to file a claim. If you think that your new vehicle is a lemon, we strongly advise that you speak to a Los Angeles Lemon Law attorney right away.
If it turns out you do have a lemon, your main options are to have the car maker either buy back or replace the vehicle. But there are other options at your disposal, such as negotiating a settlement in cash.
Regarding legal fees, if the claim is successful, the manufacturer must pay your legal costs. If our law firm does not succeed, you pay nothing. Sound reasonable?
What to Do If You Think You Have a Lemon
If you are getting nowhere with the dealer on repairing the car, we recommend you do the following:
- Write a letter to the manufacturer demanding that they buy the vehicle back (our Lemon Law attorneys in Los Angeles can help you here).
- If the manufacturer refuses to buy it back, hire a Lemon Law attorney, or ask if there is an arbitration program available.
- See whether the manufacturer has an arbitration program by checking with the California Bureau of Automotive Repair Hotline – 1-800-952-5210.
- If it is possible, go to the arbitration hearing personally. You can accept or reject the findings of the arbitration panel. If you do not get satisfaction, you always can opt to file a Lemon Law lawsuit through your Los Angeles attorney.
10 Reasons to Choose Neale & Fhima, Lemon Law Attorneys in Los Angeles
With no shortage of law firms in Los Angeles, how can you tell whether one firm stands out from the crowd? Here are just some of the reasons why we believe we are the best choice for your personal injury, wrongful death, or California Lemon Law claim:
- We Do What It Takes to Win Maximum Compensation. While some lawyers do not like to take cases to court, at Neale & Fhima, we do what it takes to win. If you are not satisfied with your settlement offer, we will not hesitate to take your case to trial.
- We Have a Record of Success. We have a 99 percent success rate in personal injury, wrongful death, and Lemon Law cases. We will not waste your time, and we will not settle for anything less than fair compensation.
- We Are Recognized for Our Accomplishments. Our attorneys have been rated by SuperLawyers and have received an Excellent Avvo Rating.
- We Want You to Know Your Rights. We believe that it is important for you to know your rights. This is why we offer free consultations (learn more below) and regularly publish informative articles online.
- We Focus on Your Type of Case. Since we focus our practice solely on accident and Lemon Law claims, you can rest assured that we are fully equipped to handle your case. Unlike other lawyers who may stretch themselves too thin by handling all types of cases, we stay focused in order to maximize our effectiveness.
- We Provide Personalized Attention. At Neale & Fhima, your case will not be reduced to a file number. Our attorneys work with each client individually, getting to know the most intimate details to build stronger cases for maximum compensation.
- We Provide Serious Representation for Serious Cases. In our personal injury practice, we regularly represent clients who have suffered brain, spine, and other catastrophic injuries. We know how these injuries affect our clients’ lives, and we know just how important it is that you receive the full compensation you deserve.
- We Will Keep You Fully Informed. While we handle everything, it is still your case. We are happy to answer your questions, and we will provide you with regular updates as your claim progresses. If we receive a settlement offer, we will help you make an informed decision about whether to accept or push for more.
- We Provide Free Consultations. When you contact us about your case, the first step will be to sit down with one of our attorneys for a free consultation. Or, if you are unable to meet in person, we are happy to explain your rights and discuss your options over the phone.
- You Pay Nothing Out of Pocket. Finally, we handle all personal injury cases on a contingency-fee basis. That way, you do not have to pay anything out of pocket, and we only collect a portion of your recovery if we win your case. In Lemon Law claims, we provide 100 percent free legal representation.
If you need to speak with a lemon law attorney in Los Angeles, Neale & Fhima will consult with you free of charge. Message us using the form below, or call (888) 559-4904.
Neale & Fhima: Lemon Law Attorneys Serving Los Angeles
If you have a vehicle under warranty with repair problems in Los Angeles, you could have a lemon law claim against the car manufacturer and dealership. Neale & Fhima is a successful Los Angeles lemon law firm that has years of experience serving residents throughout the state. If you require advice about a potential lemon auto, please contact us for a complimentary consultation at (888) 559-4904.